Monday, August 5, 2013

Inspired by a film

I recently had the opportunity to attend the premiere of an Ethiopian film entitled Soset Maezen (meaning Triangle). The film is about a group of Ethiopians and Eritreans who decide to flee to the United States hoping to find a better life. I stand firm when I say this movie has managed to tell the most overdue story to my fellow Ethiopians. The Cinematogrpahy and all other technical aspects for this film are hands down ground breaking for the gradually rising Ethiopian film industry.
 Some say I am not one to talk to about the vileness of poverty and the strong desire of the unprivileged to make their lives better. But I am saying:
“I was in my early teenage years when I began to realize the eccentric level of ambiguity that prevails in my home country. The indemnity you toiled to establish your entire life merely relies on what arises tomorrow. A country that was once the greatest civilizations on earth now dwells victims of major social, economic and political bedlam. I lived all my life surrounded by a society beleaguered by absolute poverty. So I am taking the liberty to state my judgment on this issue.”
I had the opportunity to experience life in the United States. I am not going to deny the obvious verity that the US is in fact the land of opportunity; it is the land where a light of democracy sparkles, and also the land where human life is relatively valued. I also had the opportunity to experience life in Ethiopia.  I am not going to deny the verity that life in any third world country could wearing, patience requiring and full of baloney bureaucracies; however, I just can’t seem to comprehend with the rationale why my fellow citizens risk to face the challenges of being burned by a jealous wife, or being raped by a vindictive fellow, or being the desert’s lunch, or being the ocean’s dinner... the list just goes on.
The painful reality is that majority of Ethiopians that migrate to the western world in such a manner are not even the impoverished. They spend thousands of money to pass borders illegally only to remain a history in a complete strange land.  

This film got me thinking why cross the thin line between LIFE and the HOPE OF SUCCESS. After all don’t you think we ought to be alive today to witness a brighter tomorrow?

Make sure you watch the film, click below to watch the trailer.
  

2 comments: